Fwd: Eric's XML-RPC for C and C++

Eric Kidd eric.kidd at pobox.com
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 12:54:25 -0500

On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 08:24:12PM +0000, Douglas Michael Auclair wrote:
> Congratulations to Eric Kidd for this significant achievement!

Thank you!

> Our own Eric is in the headlines ... great job!  Dare we ask when the
> Dylan version is forthcoming?

As Andreas noted, Chris Double has already written XML-RPC implementations
for Dylan and Common LISP.

<off-topic rpc geeking & shameless XML-RPC plug>

XML-RPC is a ridiculously simple RPC protocol based on XML and HTTP. It
looks like it should be slow, but the Java implementation can make a
round-trip call in about 3 milliseconds (according to Rick Blair). You
might not want to use it to implement NFS, but it's faster than round-trip
ping times across a moderately complicated coporate TCP/IP network.

It's also *much* easier to use than any of the other common RPC protocols
(with the possible exception of Java RPC in an all-Java environment).
Implementations are available for most of the obvious environements:
Python, Perl, PHP, Java, C/C++, Visual Basic, COM, Zope, etc.

(For the enterprise computing mavens in the audience, you wouldn't want to
use XML-RPC for communicating between your back tier and your middle
tier. However, you might want to use it for communicating between your
middle tier and your client tier, or with partner companies who need
something simpler than CORBA.)

XML-RPC supports signed 32-bit integers, doubles, floats, booleans, arrays,
and sets of key/value pairs. Arrays and sets can be nested. It also
supports blocks of binary data. Everything is dynamically typed.

So if you need a simple, well-behaved way of communicating between clients
and servers, you could definitely do worse. :-)

</off-topic rpc geeking & shameless XML-RPC plug>

Cheers,
Eric